You ever start making something, paying close attention to every detail and step in a new pattern, and think to yourself “this is never going to turn out like the picture”. This thought was going through my head like a broken record even before I started this next project. I hadn’t even attempted the pattern but had already begun to accept defeat, for some reason I just couldn’t envision it. I decided to push away the doubt and pick up my hook…..but the thoughts slowly crept back in. I began to feel even more frustrated as I was making it for a special little girl who was turning 3. Grrrr, but I powered on and just trusted that the pattern wouldn’t leave me astray.
In case you are wondering what I am trying to make and for whom well that comes next. I have bought a few patterns from The Velvet Acron and I should know from previous experience that they always turn out as beautiful as the pictures in the pattern. They are very well written and I am always impressed with the end results but with anything new there is always doubt and when it is a birthday gift for your niece there is added pressure. First of all I needed to get the right colour and yellow it is. Most people who have been in contact with any 2 going on 3 year old know that they begin to get their own distinct personality which includes likes/dislikes. With this in mind I made a point of making sure I got the colour right because ruining my nieces birthday is not on my list of “to do’s”. The colour of choice was yellow, in fact she loves yellow everything!!! With the colour being on point the rest was up to my fingers and hands to make sure I could crochet an Aura Pullover sweater. Seriously if you haven’t checked out her Etsy shop yet you need to, take a break right now and go take a peek, I’ll wait.
So on I went, self doubt in tow, and I came to the part that I was just not able to envision. That part being the neck opening, for some reason I just couldn’t envision it. Thinking back it was so plainly obvious and simple but at the time I just wasn’t there. It still amazes me how a ball of yarn can turn into something like this…..if you haven’t started hooking yet what are you waiting for?! It’s truly amazing what you are capable of making. Next up was to finish the cowl like neck opening.
The bottom photo is how you work the rows all the way around. I’m not going to lie, I did run out of yarn and couldn’t make it as long as the pattern advised but I think once it’s folded down it still looks pretty darn cute. I ordered the yarn online because I couldn’t find any yellow yarn in the right weight at my local stores and as you already know it HAD to be yellow. So I just accepted defeat when I ran out and made the best of it. I still think it came out on point and way cuter than I initially imagined.
Okay there was one other set back and that was the button choice. I left things too late and didn’t have time to order from my go to button shop, brickbubble, so I had to search high and low at the local stores and this was the best I could come up with. I really wanted a nice earthy toned button but hey sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. Things were turning out so wonderfully that I knew no matter what colour the buttons were it wasn’t going to ruin the overall look of the pull over…..so here goes……the final project…..what we have all been waiting for….
Oh wait I forgot one last step before the final reveal,attaching one of my BBCraftlandia custom tag 🙂 Also bought from brickbubble. Okay no more foolin, here she be;
I am so in love with the final product and I hope she is too! At the very least it’s yellow and when you are 2 going on 3 thats all that matters 😉